Friday, January 8, 2010

'IT MUST B LONELY TO B OLD'

SHARING AN ARTICLE
JAN 1 —( by Dr Hsu Dar Ren) My late father drove a car until the very day he died of a heart attack at the ripe old age of almost 90. He got his heart attack not while driving, but in his sleep.

When he was 78, I used to tell him that he should consider taking buses and taxis and stop driving. Not that he was a bad driver; on the contrary, being old, he drove very carefully and always stuck to the official speed limits. He also never ventured to KL from PJ; for that he always took the bus — there was no LRT then.

He drove mainly for certain errands like going to the bank, to the market and to his barber, all around the neighbourhood. Being careful, he never had an accident, not even a scratch on his car.

I was however worried that at his age his reflexes might not be that good and that he might hurt himself and others, if an accident did occur.

He replied that he was OK, and he had never had an accident before. Well, being an investor, I quoted the maxim of investing to him that ”past performances do not guarantee the future”. A past safety record would mean nothing if something happened, I said to him.

So we had this debate again and again. When he was in his 80s, still strong and walking as fast as me, and even able to travel to Huangshan in China on his own, we had this argument again.

I remember him saying this: ”Well, why are you always bringing up this issue when the government gives me a driving licence and renews it every year for me? If the government renews my licence, why should I stop driving? Legally I am recognised as fit to drive.”

Do you know that the Road Transport Department will renew your driving licence even when you are 80 and does not require you to go for a medical checkup (for saloon cars then, at least during the ‘90s; for commercial vehicles, everyone needs to go for a medical checkup).

Then some time back, I saw a documentary on TV about a woman trying to seek a restraining order on her mother from driving in the United States. The mother is more than 80 years old. The woman did it for her mother’s safety. But the mother’s argument was that she needs to drive to be mobile, to go about her normal activities, and that without the car she would be like a prisoner in her own home.

After seeing the TV documentary, I realised how much my father must have resented me for asking him to stop driving. To be old and immobile, a person would just be like a prisoner in his own home.

We have not put ourselves in their shoes. As an old man with no work, life can be very boring and to break the monotony, he needs to go out and mix around. Even saying hello to a shopkeeper means something to the old folks.

For those of us who were much younger then, we sometimes tend to neglect how our aged parents must have felt. How lonely they must be feeling even when they are staying with their own children, who have their own work to attend to.

Now that I am older and nearing retirement age, I realise that most of us did not spend as much time as we should to sit with our parents and talk to them.

My great consolation is that both my parents stayed with me until they died at a very old age. And I did attend to their every need, be it medical, social and financial. But still I thought I could have spent much more time with them. I could have accompanied my father on his various trips to China; I did not because I had just started my own practice and was working very hard then...

Once they are gone, we miss them; and the older we get, the more we would understand how they must have felt.

I hope younger people out there, who are lucky to have their parents around, will spend more time with their parents. Let them move around. If they are healthy and free of illnesses, let them continue driving, as long as the government renews their driving licence.

Chat with them, listen to them. Let them repeat their stories over and again and pretend to listen as if you are hearing it for the first time.

After all, without our parents, we would never be here. Without their upbringing, we will never be what we are today.



3 comments:

Sufi said...

salaam, cikgu, ada masa lapang boleh borak nanti saya dah dapat tangkap blog cikgu.hahaha

Anonymous said...

Yes exactly, in some moments I can bruit about that I acquiesce in with you, but you may be in the light of other options.
to the article there is still a definitely as you did in the decrease delivery of this request www.google.com/ie?as_q=trazodone hcl overdose ?
I noticed the axiom you suffer with not used. Or you profit by the pitch-dark methods of helping of the resource. I suffer with a week and do necheg

Anonymous said...

Salam

I agree with you. children should spend more time with parents and families. because parents always yearn to be together with their children especially when their increasing age. support and attention from children is hoped by the parents.

many useful activities that can be done with the family.
for example, jogging, cooking, watching television, gardening, shopping ..
as a Muslim, we must also provide for time with family, exchange opinions and discuss matters of religion. in order to strengthen the bonds of family to get the blessings of Allah, the night prayer practices such as tahajjud prayer and hajat prayer must always practiced no matter in ramadan or not. one should take note of this to have the courage to wake the family members at middle of the night for prayer.
other than that, reciteing Quran after maghrib is also the perfect time to take our family to be close to Allah.

as a third child in the family, I feel my own responsibility to strengthen the relationship between members of my family. there may be between siblings who are not aware of the feelings of parents because of busy work and study. so, as the middle child, I think I need to connect my family. who does not love his own family? If possible, let this family members love each other and often misses the time to be with family.

Ya Allah, Kau ampunilah segala dosa hambaMu ini, tunjukilah kami kejalan yang lurus dan jalan yang kau redhai , sesungguhnya Kau lah yang mengatur segalanya di muka bumi ini. ku pohon padaMu agar Kau permudahkan segala urusan kami, jadikanlah kami saling menyayangi saudara kami dengan ikhlas. pimpinlah kami agar sentiasa berada dibawah lindungan rahmatMu yang Esa. selamat dan berkat keatas nabi junjungan kami nabi Muhammad SAW dan keluarga baginda serta para sahabat baginda. hidupkanlah kami dalam iman, matikanlah kami dalam iman dan bawalah kami kesyurgamu bersama iman. ameen yarabb ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...